Communication skills in 21st century hold a lot of importance. A person with good verbal and written communication skills can explain his point of view better and also understand the information quickly and accurately. Whether a person is in business, student, professional, or in a job; having good communication is a very important part of your personality which also affects your academic as well as career growth.
To develop these skills first of all the person needs to thrive to improve them. Without strong determination, nothing can be achieved in life. So first and foremost make up your mind to take up the challenge as it is found that most of the people leave it halfway as they start loosing interest and give up due to one excuse or the other
Below listed are some tips :
- Prioritise: You must be having a list of things to do in a day. Set your priorities so that you can devote time in developing your skills by joining classes, reading books, watching videos, magazines, etc. Fix up your everyday timings.
- Be a patient listener: For being a good communicator you need to be a good patient listener. Best communicators are very good listeners and they do not rush to answer. Listen without being judgemental and do not get distracted by thinking what you will say when your turn comes.
- Be Simple: Use simple and straightforward language to communicate your message. It is not necessary to use high vocabulary words. You may be simple yet perfect in expressing your point which is more important rather than using the wrong vocabulary.
- Body language: Whenever you are speaking in public or a group or addressing a meeting make sure that your body language matches your words. Studies have shown that body language conveys more than verbal language
- Eye contact: This is a very important point when you are in a crowd. If you do not make eye contact with the audience while speaking people will make the impression that you are not confident about what you are saying. On the other having a continuous eye contact helps you build confidence with the audience and demonstrates that you care for your viewers
- Audience participation: Respect your audience and acknowledge what they want to convey and get in reply from you. Make the conversation two ways and make sure that the crowd doesn’t feel bored while you are speaking. A good speaker knows how to engage the audience to his session.
- Respond with ease: Take your time to respond and do not be in a hurry to end the conversation as the people will easily make out what you are up to. Think before you speak and draft your answers in mind before speaking out to avoid any miscommunication.
Strong communication skills will help you in every part of life where you will be able to put forward your views with confidence, negotiate your salary hike in appraisals, give impressive presentations in your meetings, and in personal life; leave a strong impression in the mind of people you meet.
Hope you found these tips helpful and worth implementing if you too are looking for some improvement.
Always be ready to learn!!! Grow and Prosper !!!!